Thursday 25 September 2014

Shipwreck Bed Frame

My old bed platform finally died just before my last move, leaving my mattress unceremoniously on the floor.  While knocking down a tree for one of my parent's neighbours and friends I saw a couple old wharves washed up on their beach which gave me inspiration.


So soon enough I was hopping about the rocks with a pry bar and a 10 lb sledge knocking apart boards while staying (mostly) out of the water.



Then back to the workshop.
























After a couple design concepts I settled on 6" x 3/8" lag bolts for securing the rails and large door hinges for hanging the centre stringer under the slats - the hinges were salvaged from an relative's old door that was replaced during renovations.  The slats were the only bit of non-wharf wood in the project, they were ripped from scraps around the house and workshop.


To cut the recesses for the head and foot rails in the 4x4 posts I used the oscillating tool attachment for my Black & Decker Matrix - awesome tool, highly recommended, especially for nomadic builders such as myself.
In the background are the unfinished pieces of my new bookcase.


I had to use my automotive impact gun to install the bolts, wound up shattering one through a knot.
I didn't have much for scraps left over when everything was done, at least done as I could be, I was still missing a board for the bottom of the headboard's secret compartment (ssssh), but the sea shall provide.

I have to hand it to the VW engineers, they really pulled off some interior space magic; just when you think a thing cannot possibly fit, it does.  Probably should have taken this into consideration for the design in the first place...


Installation (using impact driver head for the B&D Matrix).


I used a couple of old Ikea lamps that I had on my bedside table for built in lighting, I fed the cords through the sides just under the headboard top decking and mounted the switches behind the corner posts.


Finished product.
While I may not have taken trunk dimensions into consideration for the headboard design, I did design it to be level with the window sill of the bedroom - make sure you account for the thickness of the felt pads on the legs!  Sure this window will probably never be a feature again, but whatever, I needed a design constraint, so that was it.  I also gave generous clearance for the baseboard radiator via cutouts in the bottom rear of the headboard; I find it unfortunate when trim or other obstructions prevent furniture from being flush with the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment